Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tortilla Soup (minus the chicken!)

Tonight's dinner was one of those, 'well what do I have on hand' kind of meals. I pulled out frozen blueberry corn muffins and sauted apples in butter on the stove that we picked up at Lohrs Orchard earlier today. But the main dish with a soup I made with the inspiration of Tortilla Soup in my mind.

Saute 1 c. onion, chopped (1 medium), 1 green pepper, chopped and 2 cloves of garlic, pressed.
Add 2 small chopped carrots, 2 t cumin and 4 chopped okra. I added red potatoes too but I won't do that again, not the flavor I was looking for.
Add 2 c. of chicken or vegetable stock, 2 c. diced canned tomatoes (I had some on hand from canning recently), 1 t salt, 1/2 black pepper. Simmer for 10 min.
Add 1/4 c. TVP (Texturized Vegetable Protein), 1/2 c. corn and 1 small fresh chopped tomato. Cook a min or two longer. Remove from heat
Add 1/2 c. plain yogurt.
Serve with crushed tortilla chips sprinkled over top.

2 comments:

  1. Pics or it didn't happen.

    You should post pictures of your dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. I will photograph in the future! It did happen though, it's in my belly!! :-)

    ReplyDelete